omaha storm chasers
mural project grant
OCI is committed to providing Omaha area artists with opportunities to cultivate sustainable and productive careers. Omaha Creative Institute (OCI) is proud to be partnering with the Omaha Storm Chasers for their 50th Season. We are currently seeking artist proposals for a 50th Season Mural to be installed on the side of Werner Park. The budget is $10,000. Artists may submit more than one proposal, but only one concept will be chosen for this $10,000 opportunity. Wall dimensions are 9' high x 59' wide.
applications open: November 9, 2017
Applications close: December 1, 2017
Artists are asked to provide proposals that speak to the history of the Omaha Storm Chasers, celebrates the past 50 years of baseball in Omaha, and traces the connection from the KC Royals to the Omaha Storm Chasers.
November 9th-Applications Open
December 1st-Applications Close
January 31st-Application Selected
April 5th-Work Begins (Opening Day)
June 5th-Mural Completed
June 8th-Mural Unveiling Event
June 30th-Final Report Due
Any artist, collaborative duo, or artist collective maintaining a residence within the Omaha Metro Area including Washington, Douglas, Sarpy, and Saunders counties in Nebraska, and Pottawattamie, Mills, and Harrison counties in Iowa is eligible to apply. Applicants must be at least 21 years-old and not enrolled in a degree-seeking program by January 1, 2018. An undergraduate or graduate degree is not required to apply for this grant.
For collaborative groups:
Artist collectives, collaborative groups, and duos, are eligible if:
- All members of the group meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- The primary creative output of each member of the group is generated within the group, not as an individual.
- Members of the group are committed to working on a deeply collaborative level to advance the goals of the group, rather than those of the individuals within the group.
- The group is not incorporated into a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Collaborative groups should submit a group resume and discuss the nature and duration of the collaboration in the artist statement.
criteria for selection
- Strength of existing artistic work
- Proposed work’s relevance to the Omaha Stormchaser’s past and future in our community
- Feasibility of proposed budget and timeline
- Proposed work’s potential to engage widely diverse communities
- Visual artists: Please provide up to 10 images of your work. (JPG files only, minimum of 1920 pixels on the longest side and 5.0MB maximum).
- When labeling your files, please use the following format: Lastname_Firstname_01; Doe_Jane_01.jpg, (for example).
Works Cited Page:
Please upload a one-page document that lists the title, medium, dimensions, and an optional description (two sentence max) for each file included in your work sample. Please make sure to list works in the same order that they appear in your work sample.
Artist CV / Resume:
Please upload a professional artist CV or resume that outlines your education, past public projects (if any), exhibition, publication, or performance history and any special appointments or notable awards you have received.
Artist Statement (300 words max):
Provide a brief artist statement related to the work sample provided. Consider describing major themes that recur in your work, your influences, how materials and/or process inform the content of your work, or how you situate your work in a broader context.
Project Proposal (500 words max):
Please give a detailed description of the proposed mural. How much time will you need to complete the project and will you be working individually, as a collaborative pair, or artist collective? As an option, you may include a rendering of your proposed project with your submission, though it is not required.
Please complete the budget worksheet below and fill it out as thoroughly as possible. Please note that artists must also pay themselves as part of this proposal. Any proposal where the artist does not receive payment will not be considered.
A panel of local arts professionals, community members, and Omaha Stormchasers staff will review the applications and select the award winner by January 30, 2018.
If selected, artists must complete a contract with OCI. Artists will receive the full grant amount upon selection and are required to account for all funds spent by June 30, 2018, in a final report. Artists must provide at the time of contract execution a W-9 and completed and signed contract document.